[gdlr_quote align=”right” ]Doing the right thing means getting justice for our clients. – Attorney Steve Ruth[/gdlr_quote]

Losing a member of the family is one of the most difficult experiences people can go through. At a time when a bereaved family should be able to grieve and heal, it is often met with a rush of financial, legal, and social obligations. This is especially true when a person dies in an accident, causing a large amount of sudden and unexpected problems for surviving loved ones.

The wrongful death attorneys of the Ruth Law Team are very experienced and strive to minimize family members’ stress while working on their legal case. If you have lost a loved one in an accident caused by negligence, we will build your case as efficiently as possible. Call the Ruth Law Team at 1-888-SteveRuth to learn how we may be able to help.

Filing a Wrongful Death Claim

The term “wrongful death” refers to a specific legal action pursued by the family or heirs of someone who has died as the result of fault or negligence of another person. This is a civil action (as opposed to a criminal action) and is done for the purpose of obtaining an monetary award for damages.

Under the law, a wrongful death claim can be filed if the deceased would have grounds for a personal injury suit, had he or she survived the accident. The claim can be filed by any representative of the deceased’s estate. In order to be successful, he or she must demonstrate that the defendant behaved negligently, in a way that directly caused the deceased’s death.

In this state, a wrongful death claim must be filed within 2 years of the official date of death. This does not leave a good deal of time to prepare a strong legal argument. If you are considering the possibility of filing such a claim, you should contact our office soon.

Wrongful Death Damages

Regardless of who files the claim, compensation can only be awarded to certain parties. These include the deceased’s

  • Spouse
  • Minor (under age 25) children
  • Dependent parents (dependence is not required for parents of minors)

In some rare cases, other parties may be eligible for compensation. Depending on details of the claim, compensation can cover both financial and emotional losses related to the death.

Please call for a free consultation with an attorney and have your questions answered today. 1-888-SteveRuth (1-888-783-8378)